Since the moment it was launched, ALEXA has had a profound impact on the industry, redefining the limits of digital motion picture capture with efficient workflows and incredible image quality. Adoption of the system has been widespread and swift, with the cameras now in use on every possible type of production, from episodic TV shows, documentaries and commercials to feature films of all budgets and prestigious, international drama series.
More than just a camera, the ALEXA platform is the most complete digital camera system ever built, with different camera models for everyday shooting as well as specialty applications and a close integration with ARRI’s wide range of mechanical accessories and electronic, cabled and wireless accessories.
ALEXA’s stellar overall image quality makes ALEXA productions future-proof, no matter what the intended delivery format, with images that look spectacular in HD, 2K, 4K UHD or 4K Cine. Thanks to the camera’s unequalled exposure latitude, ALEXA images are already High Dynamic Range (HDR), so the new HDR display technology will bring out even more of their beauty. And since ALEXA can shoot up to 120 fps in full quality, it can also deliver High Frame Rate (HFR) material for higher temporal resolution. All in all, ALEXA remains the safest capture tool for asset longevity, no matter what future standards come to fruition.
For a detailed pdf table of frame rates click here.
For a detailed pdf table of data rates click here.
For a detailed pdf of recording areas, surround views and framelines click here.
For a detailed pdf explaining the “REC OUT = Clean MON OUT” options click here.
First generation ALEXAs are called ALEXA Classic cameras. They were released between 2010 and 2012. They have exceptional image performance and are simple to operate, reliable in the most extreme environments and versatile enough to cover a wide range of workflows and budgets. They will empower you to tell your story with pictures of breathtaking richness and detail. ALEXA Classic camera models are the ALEXA, ALEXA Plus, ALEXA Plus 4:3, ALEXA M, ALEXA Studio, ALEXA HD and ALEXA HD Plus. The ALEXA HD and HD Plus are the basis for the ALEXA Fiber Remote and Fiber Remote Plus camera sets. All ALEXA Classic cameras are equipped with an SxS Module located on the left side of the camera with two slots for SxS PRO or SxS PRO+ cards.
ALEXA – The Original
Where it all began: The classic ALEXA with its 16:9 sensor is compact and affordable, with ultra-fast workflows and image quality akin to 35 mm film.
XR Module Upgrade
An upgrade for ALEXA Classic cameras that replaces the SxS Module with the XR (Xtended Recording) module. The XR module provides in-camera ARRIRAW recording up to 120 fps, compatibility with XR Capture Drives and CFast 2.0 cards, faster ProRes and DNxHD frame rates and longer recording times.
ALEXA Fiber Remote
ALEXA’s superior image and product quality, transformed for the needs of broadcast style multi-camera productions with live editing and live painting.
Second generation ALEXAs are called ALEXA XT cameras (Xtended Technology). They were released in 2013 and, in addition to all the features of the ALEXA Classic cameras, they are equipped with a Super 35 sensor (with Open Gate and 4:3 sensor modes), in-camera ARRIRAW up to 120 fps, ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 3.2K, internal ND filter, Lens Data System, integrated CDL capture and ARRIRAW checksum. In addition, they have a new viewfinder mounting bracket, include anamorphic de-squeeze and high speed licenses as well as a new, super silent fan. ALEXA XT cameras are the ALEXA XT, ALEXA XT Plus, ALEXA XT M and ALEXA XT Studio. The XR Module is on the left side of the camera. It has one slot for either an XR Capture Drive, the SxS Adapter for use with one SxS PRO or SxS PRO+ card or the CFast 2.0 Adapter for use with one CFast 2.0 card.
ALEXA XT – ALEXA Reloaded
Super 35 sensor (with Open Gate and 4:3 sensor modes), in-camera ARRIRAW up to 120 fps, ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 3.2K, internal ND filter, Lens Data System, integrated CDL capture, ARRIRAW checksum and a new viewfinder bracket – what’s not to love?
ALEXA XT Plus – The Allrounder
The Swiss army knife of cameras: all the features of the ALEXA XT, with built-in wireless remote control of camera and lens motors, an additional HD-SDI and RS output, tilt and roll sensors, electronic horizon and a DNxHD license.
ALEXA XT M – The Specialist
The ALEXA XT M is ideal for helicopter, underwater, car, action, Steadicam and handheld shots, as well as 3D rigs. A thin fiber optic cable connects the compact camera head to the body, allowing extremely flexible configurations.
ALEXA XT Studio – The Flagship
A cinematographer’s dream: all the features of the ALEXA XT Plus, but with a film-style optical viewfinder, rotating mirror shutter and motorized ND filter.
To read the footnotes, move the mouse over the footnote number. All information as of SUP 11.0 (ALEXA Classic) and SUP 11.0 (ALEXA XT/XR).
For a pdf with a detailed view of all ALEXA Classic and ALEXA XT cameras (current and discontinued) click here
ALEXA Classic & ALEXA XT Family Features
- Film-like, organic look
- High Dynamic Range
- 14+ stops exposure latitude over the entire EI range as measured with the ARRI Dynamic Range Test Chart
- extended, clean highlights
- extremely low noise floor
- holds up extremely well when over or underexposed
- future proof for High Dynamic Range (HDR) displays
- Sharp, natural images for HD, 2K, 4K UHD or 4K Cine deliverables
- High sensitivity
- true base sensitivity of EI 800
- adjustable from EI 160 to EI 3200
- ARRI color science
- natural color reproduction, especially for skin tones
- excellent color separation
- great at resolving mixed color temperature sources
- Multiple in-camera recording options
- ARRIRAW (1, 2), ProRes or DNxHD
- Log C or Rec 709 gamma
- ARRI Look Files for custom looks
- embedded rich metadata in all file formats
- ARRIRAW (1)
- uncompressed, unencrypted raw sensor data
- 16:9 or 4:3 sensor modes (3)
- greatest image quality from ALEXA
- greatest flexibility in post
- best option for future-proof archiving
- Apple ProRes
- ProRes 422, 422 HQ, 4444 and 4444 XQ (2)
- HD or 2K recording resolutions, 16:9 or 4:3 sensor modes (1, 3)
- pre-recording (1)
- native Final Cut Pro X support
- DNxHD 145, DNxHD 220x and DNxHD 444 (1)
- MXF wrapped files (SMPTE standard compliant)
- native Avid Media Composer support
- Two independent HD-SDI outputs
- optional ARRI Look Files for custom looks
- streaming metadata
- 180° image rotation for Steadicam low mode
- Online tools and downloadable apps
(1) ALEXA HD and HD Plus do not include and cannot be upgraded to ARRIRAW, ProRes 2K, ProRes 3.2K, ProRes 4444 XQ, DNxHD 444, 4:3 sensor mode, 3D sync, pre-recording, SxS PRO+ support or the XR Module.
(2) Only ALEXA XT cameras and ALEXA Classic cameras with the XR Module upgrade.
(3) 4:3 sensor modes only for ALEXA Plus 4:3, ALEXA M, ALEXA Studio and all ALEXA XT models.
- ARRI Product Quality
- Rugged and reliable
- sealed electronics compartment
- unique cooling system
- stable lens mount/sensor holder
- continuous file closing protects footage
- self-healing metadata
- Intuitive, easy to use controls
- same interface on all ALEXA models
- High quality electronic viewfinder
- Powerful assistive displays, including
- surround view
- false color exposure check
- smooth mode for better motion potrayal
- peaking focus check
- compare stored image with live image
- RETURN IN video
- Well balanced, ergonomic body design
- Global ARRI service network
- Compatibility with industry standards
- PL mount lenses
- Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD, HD-SDI, SxS PRO, SxS PRO+ cards
- Gold mount or V-lock on-board batteries
- 12 or 24 V power inputs and outputs
- support for ARRI and cmotion cvolution wireless lens control systems
- ARRIRAW support through ARRI Partner Program and ARRIRAW SDK
- Numerous upgrade options
- upgradable in-camera recording module (XR Module)
- upgradable electronics interface module (Plus side panel)
- Exchangeable Lens Mount (ELM)
- easy and powerful free Software Update Packets (SUPs)
- new features through purchase of license
- Long and reliable product cycles
ALEXA XT Family Features
- Open Gate Super 35 sensor
- Open Gate mode: for VFX, upscale to 4K, reposition, resize, rotate or stabilize
- 4:3 mode: unique tall sensor is ideal for anamorphic lenses
- 4:3 mode: increased post flexibility for spherical lenses
- In-camera ARRIRAW
- highest ALEXA image quality, uncompressed and unencrypted
- up to 120 fps in full image quality
- stores ASC Color Decision List (CDL) in metadata
- ARRIRAW checksum for safer and faster downloading
- Powerful and unique ProRes & DNxHD options
- ProRes 4444 XQ: high data rate (500 Mbit/s) = high quality images
- ProRes 3.2K: ideal for 4K UHD up-sample
- High speed ProRes or DNxHD onto XR Capture Drives or CFast 2.0 cards
- High quality internal full-spectrum ND filters (4)
- neutral color balance at all densities
- internal filter holder reduces weight, reflections and hassle
- 8 full-spectrum neutral density (FSND) filters available from ND 0.3 to ND 2.4
- Flexibility of recording media
- XR Capture Drive 512 GB
- SxS PRO or SxS PRO+ memory cards
- CFast 2.0 memory cards
- Built-in Lens Data System (LDS)
- more efficient workflow on-set and in post
- Lens Data Archive (LDA) for use with non-LDS lenses
- Included anamorphic de-squeeze and high speed licenses
- Viewfinder Mounting Bracket VMB-3
- improved operating comfort and flexibility
- strong and rigid construction
- special hard, low friction anodizing on all moving parts
- 15 mm lightweight rods hold viewfinder mount
- built-in bubble level
- Super silent ALEXA XT fan
(4) Only for ALEXA XT, ALEXA XT M and ALEXA XT Plus. ALEXA XT Studio has its own motorized ND filter solution.
Software Update Packets (SUPs)
Please note that from version 8.0 on, Software Update Packets (SUPs) for ALEXA Classic cameras are different from SUPs for ALEXA XT cameras and ALEXA Classic cameras with an XR Module upgrade.
SUPs for ALEXA Classic cameras with the SxS Module will be called ‘SUP X.Y (ALEXA Classic)’. Example: ‘SUP 8.0 (ALEXA Classic)’. Their file names will be ‘SUP_ALEXA_[version-number:build-number]’. Example: ‘SUP_ALEXA_8.0:24012’. They should only be installed on ALEXA Classic cameras.
SUPs for ALEXA XT cameras and ALEXA Classic cameras with an XR Module upgrade will be called ‘SUP X.Y (ALEXA XT/XR)’. Example: ‘SUP 8.0 (ALEXA XT/XR). Their file names will be ‘SUP_ALEXAX_[version-number:build-number]’. Example: ‘SUP_ALEXAX_8.0:23789’. They should only be installed on ALEXA XT cameras or ALEXA Classic cameras with an XR Module upgrade.